Building permits are required in the City of Kenai for the following:
- Any building larger than 120 square feet
- Any work requiring the installation of new plumbing, electrical or mechanical
- New residential construction
- New commercial construction
- Alterations that modify plumbing, electrical, or structure of building
- Any modification which adds square footage to a building
- Decks over 30 inches off the ground
- Fences over 6 feet tall
- Demolition of any building (no permit fee)
- Moving of any building
- Placing Mobile Homes in Mobile Home Parks
Building permits are based on the following:
- Houses - $.28 per sq. ft.
- All other residential structures - $.14 per sq. ft.
- Based on value of the improvements & KMC Table 1-A
Mobile Home Placement
- Please see KMC 14.20.240
Plan check fees are an additional 50% of the building permit fee for residential and 65% of the permit fee for commercial.
Construction shall comply with the following codes:
- International Fire Code (IFC) 2009 Edition
- International Building Code (IBC) 2009 Edition
- International Residential Code (IRC) 2009 Edition
- Uniform Plumbing Code ( UPC) 2012 Edition
- International Mechanical Code (IMC) 2009 Edition
- National Electrical Code (NEC) 2011 Edition
- International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC) 2009 Edition
- International Existing Building Code (IEBC) 2009 Edition
A sign permit must be obtained prior to the installation of any sign, nameplate, or advertising structure. The City of Kenai Building Official issues the permits. If a building permit is issued, the signs for that building are considered a part of the value of the building and issued with the building permit.
The following rates are charged for sign permits for signs not covered by a building permit.
- Electrical Signs - $25.00
- All Other Signs - $15.00
Signs not requiring a permit include, but are not limited to, signs not visible from the right-of-way, political signs, construction signs, public safety signs, real estate signs, flags, holiday decorations, cornerstones, historical signs, building names, and street names.
For more information or to apply for a building permit, contact:
Larry Floyd, Building Official
City of Kenai
210 Fidalgo Avenue
Kenai, AK 99611-7794
Phone: (907) 283-8233
Fax: (907) 283-3014
Forms and Documents